How can you unlock your time for more valuable actions that grow business?
Most founders find that a lot of decision making gets stuck at their end. This forces them to spend time on things that otherwise must only use their least attention.
In 2018 I worked with 3 founders from India. I worked as their consulting VP of growth strategy and communication. This means, I was plugged into their business almost like their paid employees, but with an unfair advantage. I was being paid to save their time. I understood the exact value that I am creating for them.
The first step to unlocking your time?
You have to first make the following lists:
- What all decisions are at your desk?
- How much of your time every week is involved in marketing, HR, operations, admin, product and networking? (give special focus to marketing – it consumes the most time and mostly has the most expectation mismatch)
- Do you have a clear time scheduled with your reporting managers OR can any body knock in and walk in to your door for even the smallest decision making?
- Put all the important reporting meetings on your calendar. Do not entertain anything on the sidelines, unless it breaks your business.
- Keep “5” hours every month for high quality business networking – schedule it in your cal.
- Keep “5” hours every month for reading / learning something new.
- Schedule clear number of hours on each of the business functions where your decision making is required (eg: “6” hours on each)
- Overtime you have to delegate and reduce dependency on your decision making. Trust people that you have hired.
This is one of the most important steps in the entire chain. As a founder who ensures that you are delivering to your calendar?
- Hire an entrepreneur who you can deeply trust. He/ she must and will schedule specific time with you to ensure that you are incredibly efficient. He/ she must be deeply engrained in your win. Because your growth is their growth.